Sunday, April 4, 2010

Armed Forces Day

Saturday, April 3: High: 4F Low: -7F Length of Day: 15h 39m

Saturday was Armed Forces Day. The locals bring their dog sleds into the bay for a race. I headed down to the pier after lunch, getting there around 2pm. It was *cold*, but the sun was shining and the sky was perfectly clear. About 30 sleds each with 8 dogs were waiting for the race. I ran into Kevin, Eric, and Jim from the gravity team who had rented skis and were headed out to the abandoned village that was on the edge of the bay. It was about a 3 mile trek over the ice of the bay. I felt that they were very ambitious. About 2:30pm they started the race. Every 10 minutes or so they would start a sled team off. The objective was to race out to a point several miles away and they return in the shortest time. I was told the round trip time was about 45 minutes. Too cold to wait for the sleds to return, I headed back to the base.

On my way back, I stopped at the community center. It had all sorts of stuff to entertain people. They had a cafe where you can get froo-froo coffee drinks, a library with books and DVDs to checkout for free, a craft room with equipment for printing just about anything including posters, t-shirts, and coffee cups, and a game room with gaming consoles like Wiis and PS3s, and another video gaming room with cabinet video games. My favorite cabinet video game of all time - Arctic Thunder - was there. You'll have to ask me sometime why that's my favorite of all time. All the games were available for free.

As part of Armed Forces Day there was a pizza buffet out at the TOW club. But people who headed out there early said it was a zoo and not worth it. So, after dinner at the mess hall, I head back to the common room to catch the Butler/Michigan State game. Go, Butler, Go! Can't wait to see them play Duke Monday night.

1 comment: