Monday, April 12, 2010

Not much going on

Monday, April 5: High: 4F Low: -12F Length of Day: 16h 09m
Tuesday, April 6: High: 5F Low: -8F Length of Day: 16h 24m
Wednesday, April 7: High: 6F Low: -9F Length of Day: 16h 39m
Thursday, April 8: High: 3F Low: -12F Length of Day: 16h 55m First day of visible light for 24 hours
Friday, April 9: High 5F Low: -9F Length of Day: 17h 11m

This was a really boring week. We only flew on Monday and Friday due to the cloud cover. Apparently a low has settled itself in the Arctic somewhere and that's creating a lot of cloud cover.

On Monday, my manager's manager helps me get a seat on the rotator for the 23rd just in case we extend our mission in Thule. I'm glad he has my back. There was no question about why I needed to come back. And my colleague Chad also agreed to come out to replace me if necessary. It's such a relief to know that my needs are covered. I really love my job.

The big news of the week is that Butler nearly won the NCAA National Championship. For a couple of days leading up to the tournament, people were saying things like "It's going to be Feel Good against Real Good." Well, I guess Butler showed them. And only 4,000 students go to Butler. They have made waves in the basketball world for many years to come despite not winning. And their coach will be able to go anywhere he wants. It was truly like watching David slay Goliath - although coming up one basket short. Go Butler!

On Thursday, Michelle showed back up. David was leaving on Friday on the rotator, so we went out to the TOW club and said our goodbyes. Also on the rotator was a group of Danes and Ukrainians. They are in Greenland doing joint military operations. They're a lively bunch, but have cramped our style a bit. We no longer have exclusive use of the common rooms. But all the natives have left the hotel, so it's a step up from the usual people roaming the halls. I'm glad for that.

And it no longer looks like we are going to extend our mission. We are going to be back in the states on the 23rd like we originally planned. I'm still going to hang on to the rotator seat for now. We can cancel up to a couple of days before without being charged. This is a good thing since seats on the rotator cost $1600. At this point, with things so up in the air, I'm glad to have all my bases covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment